Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Emotions during national anthem overhelm Azkals' Gier

by Dennis Gasgonia, abs-cbnNEWS.com


MANILA, Philippines – English-Filipino football player Rob Gier has explained why he was emotional while the Philippine national anthem was being played shortly before the Azkals' game versus Kuwait last week.

Gier was seen fighting back his tears while his teammates were singing "Lupang Hinirang" before their game at the Rizal Memorial Stadium.

“I had a few people tease me and stuff about my reaction to the national anthem,” he said while being interviewed in BALLS TV's "Game Day."

He admitted that he has yet to fully memorize the lyrics of the Philippine National Anthem.

“Unfortunately, I'm not 100% on the words yet so rather than singing words that are wrong I kinda sing it to myself,” said Gier.

But why the tears?

“What goes through my head, is I think about my wife she's due to give birth in about 5 weeks... and I think about my mom and my friends and family everything like that goes to my head,” he explained.

“With the national anthem, whenever we sing it there with emotions, it was really, really a special moment.”

They may have lost that game against the technically-superior Kuwait, but they gained the respect and recognition of their foes.

“That first-half performance we put in there against a squad that in the top 100 in the world, going to half time, I don't think I've ever felt the feeling I had when Stephan Schrock scored that goal. That was a very very special moment, kinda live in me forever,” remembered Gier.

Gier also looked back to the days when he was just starting with the Azkals in 2009.

He said things were a lot different for them back then.

“When we were there, no one cared... no one wanted to know, no TV cameras, there are no reporters. There were no sponsors, no people writing about us… not so many endorsements coming in,” said Gier.

He said the thing that held them together is their love for the sport and country.

“We played football for the national team because we loved playing football,” explained Gier. “We're Filipinos and to represent the country is the greatest thing we can have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment